Sunday, May 31, 2009

Just Live Your Life...

Rapper TI made this phrase famous with his song "Live Your Life," American Eagle uses it as a slogan, St Francis DeSales (paraphrased) and Dr Seuss (paraphrased), have all said similar things. But what does this mean? Life your life?

I believe in destiny, and that we are the masters of our own destiny. We must take the challenges that life gives us and get through them the best as we possibly can. Earlier in the weekend, I sat down and had my tarot cards read, yes I know, what are some cards going to tell me about my life? It was incredibly unnerving that these cards and the person reading them could really get to the core of my being. Telling me things about me that only I know. From putting up barriers, to spiritual beliefs, ending up with things that I can't even begin to put words to. This 10 minute exercise cut through every wall I've put up and opened me up to a vulnerability that I can only describe as invigorating.

This being said, I've pondered on some of the things that I heard last night, and have made some resolutions. First and foremost, to quote Shakespeare's "Hamlet," "This above all, to thine own self be true." It's time to start living my life the way I choose, doing the things I want to do and for the reasons I want. I can no longer sit around and face mid-life crisis time realizing that there is too much to life to be hiding behind self constructed barriers.

Secondly, it's time to stop putting conditions on things, specifically related to relationships. I have always said, I would never date, or enter a relationship with someone that I considered to be a close friend. Why? Pretty simple, in my logical mind, I never wanted to jeopardize my standing with a friend. True friends are hard to come by, but even harder is true love. Previously self inflicted rules of dating, are now completely off the table. Whatever happens, happens, and if it doesn't work out, I would hope that the strength of friendships can overcome any potential love related wounds.

Third on the agenda, Work. The best part of my job without a doubt in my mind are the people that I work with. We've all heard of the phrase "work friends" and to a point this is true. People that we work with are at times, people that we socialize with at work, but have no real relationship or common interests outside of our employer's realm. I love the people that I work with, many of them I've known for years, and they really do transcend the "work friend" stigma, but it's time for a change. I went to Millersville with the intent on teaching High School History classes, and obviously that changed. I now have a Bachelors' Degree in History, that I really don't use in any occupational senses. That bothers me, a lot. I spent so many years working towards this degree, and to not use it really is a crime. It's time to focus on me and start using this degree, clearly, I have SOME intelligence and need to channel that towards making a difference in the world.

Finally, I need to start being more open. I wonder how many amazing people I've let slip out of my life due to the barriers that I've put up. For those of you that know me well and are reading this, you know how true this is. You've obviously passed the "Matt Test", as my dear friend Tammy calls it. It's time to start living day by day and to start letting people in. Who knows what else is out there for me...

So, its time to, in the words of TI f Rihanna, "Just live your life..."

As a footnote, you probably realize how incredibly open this is for me, and I welcome comments and other thoughts...to a point. You probably know the lines that are never to be crossed...

M

2 comments:

  1. I commend you for being so open and honest. I think there comes a time when we all need to sit back and take a look at ourselves and see if there are some things that may need change. I am actually at this point in my life right now. I wish you nothing but happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Krissy. I keep hearing this time and time again, it should be an interesting ride.

    M

    ReplyDelete